WHAT IS AN A+ SCHOOL?
Designated A+ High Schools
A+ Fact Sheet
Nevada High School has been selected by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as an A+ school site. The A+ schools grant provides the opportunities and funding for NHS to make basic changes designed to guide students in a rigorous program of academic and technical education that will prepare them for the workplace, post-secondary vocational-technical training or college.
GOALS OF AN A+ SCHOOL
- To ensure that all students graduate from high school
- To ensure that all students complete a selection of high school studies that is challenging and has identified learning expectations
- To ensure that all students proceed from high school graduation to a college, post secondary vocational technical school or high wage job with workplace skill development opportunities
A student who qualifies according to the following criteria and continues an education at a Missouri public community college or vocational-technical school is eligible for state reimbursed tuition for up to two years. Each student should enter into a written agreement with the school during the last three years prior to high school graduation and to be eligible must have:
- Attended a designated A+ school for three consecutive years prior to high school graduation
- Graduated from high school with a GPA of 2.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale
- Maintained at least a 95% attendance record for the four year period
- Performed 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring for other students
- Maintained a record of good citizenship and avoidance of the unlawful use of drugs
- Made a documented, good faith effort to secure all available federal post secondary student financial assistance funds that do not require repayment
The student financial incentive will be available for a period of four years after high school graduation. To maintain eligibility during that time, each participating student must enroll and attend a Missouri public community college or vocational technical school on a full time basis and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
For more information, contact Nevada High School at (417) 448-2020.